Courtesy of Wally S., Wally's Urban Market Garden, Saskatoon, SK
It's the time of year when I get inundated with URGENT!!! messages from those who are suddenly motivated to begin their farming careers this season. While planning is the hallmark of SPIN-Farming, I can't resist a challenge. How do you fast track farm startup? Well, you need to know the difference between mission critical and distractions. Distractions are double digging, high tunnels, and designer rain catchment systems. Below is the information I'm requesting of a late starting first year SPIN farmer in
Ottawa ON to get him focused on what is mission critical.
- What is the current size of land base you plan on putting into production.
- Is the land ready to plant?
- Do you have access to water?
- Do you have/have access to a rototiller?
- Do you have garden tools and a seeder?
- Do you live in the city, or on the outskirts?
- Describe your " home base."
- Do you have post harvest cooling capacity?
- Can you get potato seed/onion sets/garlic quickly?
- Where will you be selling? A farmers market?
- Have you considered restaurant sales for crops such as pea greens/sunflower greens?
- Have you considered indoor tray production of pea/micro greens?
Note: if you want to get into the game really quickly this season, check out our Seed to Cash learning program.